Sunday, January 25, 2009

An afternoon...

At the Arizona Botanical Gardens last week, we got to see some work of the glass sculptor named Chihuli. This is one of the pictures I took. I try to get our family out to see new things as often as I can.

I have some advise that I give my self and maybe it would be worth passing on. My boys are still young and need dynamics in their lives to help build them into smart, well rounded individuals later in life. I struggle with giving them learning opportunities and even full attention because I am so busy in my own little world. My boys need to be a high priority as these are the years they will remember the rest of their lives. As they grow and gain responsibilities, they will be able to look back at every fond memory of a trip, expedition, discovery, and taste. I try to get them out of their comfort zone (home) and push them selves mentally, and physically. For an example. Cody climbed the most difficult trails in the entire Phoenix valley at 9 years old last year. He has now done it twice more. He struggled along side of me and we had to encourage each other as we passed others who turned back due to difficulty. I liken this to life. When life gets so hard that we collapse at the point of giving up and we see others arround us giving up as well, keep your destination in sight and dig down for that determination... GO FINISH!
Well at 9 years old, that might have been too deep for him but he still remembered it last week. I hope I have opened his mind a bit.
Jabon
Check out my Longs Peak climb on my blog...

2 comments:

Shelly said...

Jabon, you're awesome. Thanks for your insight. I appreciate it and hope we can follow your example to spend more time with our kids outside of our comfort zone.

Lori said...

That is great advice. I try to do that also, I just have a hard time finding the things to do. I know I could find it if I get out of MY comfort zone. I love ya!!