Sunday, May 3, 2009

Pillow Talk

This morning when Josh got home from work he was determined to come to church with us. Problem was, he was asleep. Remember how he semi-functions in his sleep? It's been a while since such a notable performance, but I had to share this one.

First, Josh needed to give a message to our bishop about an appointment he had (Josh is the Ward Executive Secretary). I asked him if he could call Bishop, but Josh said he was in a meeting. I asked if he could send a note to him, since that would be more appropriate than me just telling him the message. The first draft Josh signed, "Love, Josh." I made him rewrite it. After that business was taken care of, he asked Millie if she wanted him to write a note to her. He did and this is what it said,

"Please excuse Millie Johnson from P.E. today as she was seen in the ER."

Then, Josh tried to dress himself. He came out wearing his green slacks, tennis shoes, suit jacket, and a tie. The tie actually matched his slacks, but it was tied around the collar of his coat--he had forgotten his white shirt. He didn't understand why I told him he couldn't wear his outfit to church.

A few minutes later Josh came out of the bedroom to try to help me get the kids out the door. He took Matt back to his bedroom to grab his shoes. I went to check on them and discovered Josh was giving Matt a lesson on coordinating his Sunday attire. Matt had put on white socks and Josh began teaching him: "I buy my pants to match my socks." I thought he just got the words mixed up until I realized that he really was still asleep as he continued: "I also have a lot of different types of ties. Because you want your ties to match your underwear." I tried really hard not to laugh outloud as Josh summed it all up for his son: "You wear dark socks so your tie will match your underwear." Matt nodded in complete understanding.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry, but I have tears rolling down my cheeks and and my stomach hurts from laughing so much! That is one I'd keep for posterity!

Jabon said...

I don't know what to say...!

Lori said...

Thanks so much Shelly. I really needed a good laugh. It felt really good!!!

You know we love you Josh!

Tara Dawn said...

As soon as I read the first paragraph and knew what this story was going to be about, I started laughing! Man, he is the funniest sleepwalker ever--and we love that about him!!

Thanks for posting this. Josh, you helped me laugh harder today than I have for a while. I miss you guys!