Monday, May 25, 2009

Grampa--Tell Me 'Bout the Good Ol' Days

Today we went to Mom and Dad's for Memorial Day. Gramma and Grampa were there too. I made the comment that our family is very fortunate that everyone who served in the military (especially those that were at war) have all come home. We haven't lost any of our family members to war. Then Gramma told me about some of the times we almost lost Grampa...

One time, as Grampa was standing at the door of the plane as it was flying over its drop-off point, he was throwing things out of the door (it was along the side of the plane, not in the rear like they are nowadays) and didn't realize his foot was caught in a rope that was part of whatever was being thrown to the ground far below them. The rope caught around his loafer and took his shoe and part of his head out of the plane. He regained his composure and was safe. If he'd been wearing his boots the rope would've held onto him and he probably would've been taken out of the plane.

There were also a couple of times when mountains appeared out of nowhere and pilots fell asleep at the wheel. We're really lucky to have Grampa still with us!

Then Grampa began telling stories of his childhood. He remembered when he was in high school and some of the seniors caught a pig that had crossed into the school grounds. They threw it down the outhouse pit. When a teacher went out to use the "facility" he heard the squeals of the pig from below him. He made the boys fish the 150 lb porker out of the outhouse hole. Gross!

He also told me about when he was in school they snuck over and ate sugar cane from one of the locals. They ate so much of it throughout the season that the poor guy had no sugar cane left when it came time to make syrup. By then the parents of the kids (including Great Grandma and Grandpa) all donated part of their supply to the guy to make up for their kids wiping out his crop. Grampa was chuckling as he told me this. He just remembered the cane being really, really good. Dad thought it was interesting that the parents just took care of it and the sheriff wasn't involved at all--much different than if something like that happened today.

Anyway, just thought I'd share the gems of Grampa. I've got to take a tape recorder over to him and just record all of his stories, especially if I can capture them with the flavor that he adds to them.

3 comments:

Jabon said...

Wow, that is truly awesome to hear stories from the old days. You may want to add these stories to your family history and a recorded version would be great to reminisce to.
I have a micro tape recorder I can send you. I only have the one tape with it though... I also have a way to transfer it to CD or MP3 file... Cool stuff Shelly!

Lori said...

I love to hear those stories. I just can't remember them after they've been told to me. I think you should record them. They would be really cool to hear them straight from Grampa!

Tara Dawn said...

Awesome! I always think to myself that I'd love to hear these stories and more from grandma, grandpa, and mom and dad, but when we are together I never think of it. You have an awesome opportunity to record some of his stories and if you can do it, I know we would all love it. Including our cousins.